Saturday, April 21, 2012

Am I ready to tank heroics?!?!?!

Common question on the forums, now let me explain. Just taking one glance at my armor, you will notice that the majority of the equipment is DPS and is reforged for my DPS spec stat weight. I recently took to tanking some 85 reglulars for easy JP to work on my tank offset. The regulars were so faceroll it wasnt even funny, but before I start tanking heroics with my current gear... I wanted to get the community's opinion whether or not I should even attempt the heroics without getting properly geared.
All I can say is that I hope you never tank for me with that gear. At the very least you need to change your gems, enchant your gear, and reforge with tanking related stats.
"Shudder"

No, you need to do some serious work before you can really start tanking, and not just with your gear.

The very first question you should ask yourself is whether or not you are serious about Blood tanking and want to be good at it. Blood's priority system is tricky to master and use optimally, and you'll need to devote a fair bit of time to really learning how Blood works.

If you just wanted a quick queue time and a satchel of exotic mysteries, roll a protection paladin or a warrior, or better yet just stick with Unholy or Frost.

That said, if you are serious about learning Blood's many tricks and abilities, the very first thing you need to do is read.

http://elitistjerks.com/f72/t110102-blood_dk_endgame_tanking_4_x/

That is a more-or-less complete guide to raid tanking in cataclysm, along with the 3rd post on the page. There is very little difference generally between tanking a heroic and tanking Bastion of Twilight, so you'll find much of the knowledge there translates pretty smoothly across different scenarios.

Once you've read, and practiced a bit with Blood, you should be able to asnwer your own question of whether or not you are ready to tank heroics.

You'll need to change your gems to use mastery, avoidance and stamina gems, not strength. Reforge for mastery unless you need to reforge for hit/expertise or to balance dodge and parry. Using the very best enchants will provide a small but noticeable difference.

Your spec definitely isn't the very worst i've ever seen, but it's not optimal. If you aren't going to be tanking raids, you can get away with getting the Crimson Scourge talent for additional AoE threat. I would take one point out of Scent of Blood, both points out of Abomination's Might and put 2 points into Epidemic. Take those points out of unholy command, it's a useless talent, and either get lichborne or dump an extra point into Scent of Blood and get Crimson Scourge.
Thanks for the advice!
I have messed around with blood a few times, tanking regs for guildies looking for a fast queue. I am not completely sold on tanking, hence the DPS gear, str gems, lack of enchants, and extremely low avoidance. I love DKs and am familiar with blood and have a basic understanding of priorities and such. Eventually I would like to get a legitimate tank set and I will avoid putting people through the headache of having me tank heroics with my current set. I guess I just got ahead of myself after tanking regulars with no issues at all. Again, thank you for the help

No comments:

Post a Comment