Wednesday, April 18, 2012

Maloriak adds

So my guild finally picked up another tank (a bear) and we were able to get back to raiding as a guild. Anyways, we were doing Maloriak. As a guild we've never done him before as a group. The one time I did it was as a fill in for a friends guild run. That time I was on the boss and their warrior was on the adds.

This time everyone thought I should be on add duty because I was by far the better geared tank. I was happy, it sounded more interesting than just staring at Maloriak for 5 mins. I never felt more violated before in my life. When 9 were up it was the only time I ever felt squishy so far. After the first wipe (DPS apparently didn't wanna slow down and we pushed him into the burn phase before the second green phase), the healers all agreed let the bear try. Bear jumps in, we kill him, healers all agree bear was less stressful on them.

So to all my DK peers, do you tank the adds? DO you do anything special? Are they really just our Achilles heal? I was just tabbing DS while using BB to maximize blade barrier while basically button smashing CD's when 9 were up. We'll probably just stick to the bear for now on, but I can't help but feel like I was playing bad. It bugs me and makes the warrior I'm leveling seem so attractive.....lol.
my raid group actually has the same tank comp, and im the one that tanks the adds on Maloriak. What i tend to do is, talk with the healers, make sure there awear when adds are on them and to come to me or slow down on the heals before i can pick the add up. I also look at the beams when he summons them to try and see which side will summon two of them so I can drop DnD on that side, and DG the other one. With 9 adds up, we are super squishy, the easiest way do deal with that is to just kite them, with a hunters slow trap, or earthbind totems. Kiting them really helps. I would love to be the one taking Maloriak in this fight, but my druid tank refuses to do the adds.
Yeah we have a pally tank maloriak and I tank the adds, the first set of adds will always be hardest due to rune cooldown as they will come 3 in a row but after that its easier to pick them up. Once 9 are out at once start popping cool downs, it is a must cause 9 adds up sucks. we have a priest healer on me so the absorbs are extremely helpful, most times we will do 12 on the first cycle just cause we can but 9 is essential. also make sure all adds die before he goes into the burn phase otherwise its gonna suck, and also make sure the 2 final adds are hit immediately by you or they will fixate on a target till they are dead
Until you get to a gear level where you can pop cooldowns and Tank the 9 adds, you'll be reliant on the raid helping you kite them. Frost traps, ring of frost, earthbind, hungering cold etc.
I always get stuck on add duty as well and hate it, DK's aren't the optimal choice for this role but we can do it. The funny thing is swapping out for a bear isn't much better as they are poor multi-mob tanks as well.

What I do is tank the adds up to 6 and when the next 3 come out I start kiting them over frost traps. Than at the green phase I to our AoE spot, drop DnD, pop IBF and hang on for the ride lol.

I can't remember if IBF is up for the 2nd green phase usually but if not make sure to DRW + Vamp Blood + Bone Shield.

You'll need to get lavawalker on your boots for the run boost and a cheaper but riskier alternative is glyph bone shield and pop it for the kiting part. Just don't let the stacks get knocked off =)

When we do 25m version we use two tanks on the adds and then it really becomes faceroll.
Why would you waste ibf during green phase? They lose their stacking buff during that time and should do almost no damage to you. Use ibf when you are holding (9 or 12 dep. on gear) before green phase.

No comments:

Post a Comment